Saturday, May 27, 2017

And let me see things as they used to seem to me

The photographs were taken in Petikko on April 30th.

In five days I got 11 1/2 hours of exercise, enjoying the landscape of late spring and early summer. Today I'm planning to take it a little easier. During the winter my weight got up 5 kg, but now it is coming nicely down again.

Yesterday I wrote about the danger and stupidity of Trump and his administration. When I woke up this morning and read the news about Jared Kushner and the back-channel to Kremlin, I wasn't greatly surprised, but still, this is quite something. It fits the wider picture of the Republican Party.

I'm more and more convinced that the prevailing attitude among the leadership of the party (and many of the voters) is quite similar to the slave-owners. Take away all benefits from the poor, the sick, the children, the elderly, the women... The party belongs to the rich, white, and male, i.e., those who are in the "owner of the slaves" position.

I'm currently reading the book Underground Airlines, a thriller by Ben H. Winters: "It is the present-day, and the world is as we know it: smartphones, social networking and Happy Meals. Save for one thing: the Civil War never occurred." The book makes me shudder, but I just have to keep on reading.

(Posting title is from the poem Falling Water by John Koethe.)

No comments: