Tuesday, July 26, 2016

I make up as I trace them

The photographs were taken in Nuuksio National Park on July 1st.

I was traveling for five days, and got plenty of exercise, walking, running and swimming, but no bicycle riding. Today I rode the bicycle once again, exploring Espoo near the central park, and once again I managed to get quite lost. There doesn't seem to be much sense to the way the roads and houses are placed in Espoo.

When traveling I rented a car, and it turned out that the car had automatic transmission. I have always driven a manual car, and it took a while to understand that there is no clutch or a gear shift. After some experimentation I finally got the hang of it, but every once in a while I tried to use my left leg or search for the gear shift.

The car I reserved at rental service was "Ford Focus or similar", and what this turned out to be was a five-door Mercedes Benz A series car. After some adjustment, the car turned out to be quite nice, and handled well even on narrow and twisty gravel roads. I drove the car for 560 km, and when I got back home, I had to do the adaptation in reverse, but it was much easier.

(Posting title is from the poem What’s Broken by Dorianne Laux.)

No comments: