Thursday, March 3, 2016

To be sure this time I know where I belong

The photographs were taken on February 9th in Helsinki.

I had a look at the view stats of my photographs at Flickr. When I got the Panasonic LX100, the daily view count grew by almost a factor of 100, from 100 daily views to up to 10,000 daily views. The number of views started soon to diminish, and I expected the trend to continue until it would be back to the original.

But it seems that the daily view count is not diminishing any more. It varies between 500 and 6,000 daily views, and the average is between 1,000 and 2,000 views.

I wonder why the view counts are so high, as the photographs I take are for sure not such that they would have a large potential audience.

(Posting title is from the poem Scavenging the Wall by R. T. Smith.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On any given day, the number of viewers to my M.O.R.A. blog can be counted on the fingers of one hand. All of my other blogs receive fewer than two visitors a month, or six months, or ever.

Not complaining, though, because I do this only to please myself…and I am happy.

All that aside, I do admire your vision, and envy your mobility.

Profligatographer

Juha Haataja said...

Thank you.

Indeed, taking photographs just because there are views of them at Flickr would be bizarre, there have to be more fundamental reasons. For me they are mainly related to walks in forests and swamps, out in nature, and taking photographs helps me to see, and to some degree also to remember.

My understanding is that the view counts at Flickr are an artifact of search algorithms, and things can change any day. And they will change, because more and more photographs are available, and thus there are less and less eyes to see each individual photograph.

Here is an example of the change in photography between 2005 and 2013:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ByecFcMCMAAC1CM.jpg