Sunday, January 4, 2015

All I could see from where I stood

The LX100 allows to take handheld photographs in the dark, where the human eye has problems seeing anything, especially colours. Usually I haven't pushed the LX100 as far as it can go, using it in conditions in which even the LX3 and LX5 would have been able to produce some kinds of photographs.

But during the last week, when the snow melted away, there were nights when I did push the LX100 to the limit.

Here are photographs taken on January 2nd, 2015. I used the widest setting of the lens, 24 mm equiv., at f/1.7. The length of exposure varied between 0.4...1.6 seconds, and sensitivity was either ISO 800 or ISO 1600. All photographs were taken handheld, which was difficult because we had wind gusts up to 20 m/s, and the wind shook the photographer rather unpredictably. You can see this in how the wind shook the trees in the photographs.

The third photograph in the series was taken at ISO 1600, 1.6 second exposure, which is quite challenging for a handheld photograph. There is camera shake, of course, but nevertheless I was surprised that the photograph is somewhat usable.

I took several photographs at each place, or course, but most of them were quite sharp, and the one I selected to keep was determined mostly due to the composition, not how sharp the photograph was.

(Posting title is from the poem Renascence by Edna St. Vincent Millay.)

No comments: