Saturday, October 18, 2014

Where the wild thyme blossoms fair

These photographs were taken in Stockholm on September 20th, at Gröna Lund.

Yesterday I updated one of the Macs at home to OS X 10.10 Yosemite. The update was painless. Even though my MacBook is six years old, Yosemite seems to work perfectly well. It even seems faster than 10.9.

But of course there may be some hiccups. I needed to download a new version of TextExpander, which I'm using to automate the making of blog postings.

There is an update to Aperture to make it compatible, which is for me a critical thing. The first time Aperture starts up it updates the library, so some things have been changed under the hood. The visual look hasn't been changed, though, which may well be a good thing. I haven't yet got used to the new look of programs in Yosemite, and it may take some time.

However, even though the visual look of Yosemite is rather different that OS X 10.9, the things that matter seem to work as they should. If everything keeps on working on the MacBook, I'll update the iMac - which is over seven years old - to Yosemite this weekend.

(Posting title is from the poem Meet Me in the Green Glen by John Clare.)

2 comments:

Andreas said...

Regarding the demise of Aperture: what will you do? Lightroom?

With my upcoming Macbook Pro, I may even switch to the Creative Cloud, Photography edition. I don't use Photoshop that often nowadays, but you never know. Maybe instead of an upgrade to Lightroom 6, which must be just around the corner.

Juha Haataja said...

Well, I haven't yet decided what to do after Aperture.

Aperture is compatible with the newest OS, and shows signs of age, but I could stay with it for some while still. Or perhaps the new Photos app which Apple will launch in 2015 proves to be capable enough.

I have about 200 GB of photographs in the Aperture library, and organizing all of them from scratch is not something I would like to engage in.

The children are using a very old version of Photoshop, scanning drawings and editing them on the computer, and that is rather different from what I'm doing with my photographs.

I'm not yet sure how to satisfy these different requirements. Creative Cloud is one option.

Also, I need to replace the seven and six year old computers, probably within one year, and that needs some thought as well.