Thursday, May 29, 2014

Youngest green transfused in silver shining through

Here is a photograph of a butterfly, Gonepteryx rhamni.

I walked today for three hours in Luukki, starting from the parking place near lake Myllyjärvi, walking north three Ketunkorpi, and returning via Hauklampi. It rained a little bit, and I got a little bit wet, but it wasn't too cold.

I observed a pair of Gavia stellata at lake Hepolampi. They made some wailing sounds, and then they rested, floating on the water near a little island in the lake. This time I think I identified the species right, and in any case this lake should be too small for Gavia arctica to get airborne. But the birds were a bit too far away to be absolutely sure of the throat color.

Today I uploaded to Flickr photographs taken in Vaakkoi, and here is the photograph in which a pair of Gavia stellata is to be seen. I made a crop in which the throat color is clearly visible.

(Posting title is from the poem Love in the Valley by George Meredith.)

No comments: