Saturday, May 24, 2014

But for the most part there was steady progress

It was warm today, up to +29 °C. I walked for two hours in Vaakkoi, visiting five lakes there. I checked what the pair of Gavia arctica are doing, but only one of them was visible, diving for food. Maybe the other was hatching eggs? This time the birds were keeping quiet, there were no loud wailing sounds like last weekend.

I noticed that there was on the other side of the small island also a pair of Branta canadensis, really big birds. One of them was sitting on land, and the other was standing nearby in water, keeping watch. There were a couple of boats on the shore of the lake, but I think that anyone would think twice approaching too close to the island.

When I came back from the walk my daughter wanted to go swimming. And so we did, for the first time this year. The water was warmer than I thought it would be, and we spent an hour swimming.

The photograph was taken in Sea Life Helsinki.

(Posting title is from the poem Goose by Richard Emil Braun.)

No comments: