Sunday, February 23, 2014

Walked forth to ease my pain

It rained a bit yesterday, and the temperature has been above +0 °C, so snow is once again melting. There is a bit of snow still left, 3 cm or so, but it is disappearing day by day.

These photographs were taken while walking in Tränuhals on February 16th. Yesterday I walked the same route, very slowly, because I was somewhat tired from the long walk in Nuuksio on Friday. The melting has proceeded much further, and there is some flooding. It this continues there won't be much snow left after next week.

Today I walked for 2 hours 10 minutes in Luukki, and all in all I have walked in forests and swamps for 17 hours during the last nine days. Lots of time to see how the landscape changes towards spring.

Taking a long walk has a calming effect. I have been reading novels by Ian McEwan, Margaret Atwood and Nicole Krauss, and these have given me a lot to think about during the walks. How fragile and awkward we human beings are.

During the vacation I watched tv for zero hours, not even Sochi 2014 Olympics.

(Posting title is from the poem Prothalamion by Edmund Spenser.)

No comments: