Wednesday, February 19, 2014

I wasn't looking for this

The photograph was taken in Tremanskärr on February 15th.

I'm currently reading the novel Saturday by Ian McEwan, in a Finnish translation. A novel that happens within one day is challenging both for the writer and for the reader, but I'm rather impressed now that I'm halfway through. Henry Perowne, a 48-year-old neurosurgeon, is feeling good, but then things start to get surprising turns.

I don't know what will happen during the second half of the book, but I'm hooked. And it is not only the story, it is also the thinking about art and literature which impresses, wrought into the story via the children of Henry, one of which is an aspiring poet and the other plays the blues. Even though Henry is very successful in his work, his own life is something he doesn't quite grasp, in a way he is trying to find out an explanation for life, and failing in his seeking.

(Posting title is from the song Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.)

No comments: