Sunday, January 12, 2014

You stand there with your mouth open


U

It has been a long time since I last visited Meiko. I think it was at the end of May, 2013, and then it was early summer, the time when the first mosquitoes appear. Anyway, a week ago I went to Meiko, to explore the north parts of the area, where I haven't done much walking.

I circled around lake Tränuhals, walking across the swamp, which was partly frozen despite the warm weather we have had. I had several different maps and a compass with me, and didn't get lost, but I wasn't completely sure when I was all the time either. It was very quiet in Meiko, and I didn't see anyone while walking there. There were a lot of little paths, though, and I wondered if all of them were made by people, perhaps deer or other animals are making paths also.

(Posting title is from the poem The More a Man Has the More a Man Wants by Paul Muldoon.)

2 comments:

Markus said...

What a fine set, Juha - a wonderful quiet landscape, making me immediately wish to become part of it.

Juha Haataja said...

It is quiet indeed in Meiko.

I went there again today, after the snowfall, and I saw some tracks - moose, deer, and human, but met only one person, a guy wearing a yellow jacket with the text LYNX in it, which refers to the local orienteering club. He was going really fast along the path, passing me and soon disappearing inside the forest.