Monday, January 20, 2014

What did I know, what did I know

On Sunday I walked for two hours, but it felt longer, as I got into terrain which was really rugged, trees had fallen across the way and there were steep rocky hills to go up and down. I should have circled around but instead I just kept going on, which wasn't such a bright idea. But it was good exercise at least.

The weather forecast is promising rather cold weather for next week, temperature between -10...-20°C, so we are having quite nice winter weather. There is only 2-3 cm of snow, which is good for walking in forests and swamps, but not so good for skiing.

The ground is drying up, and the water level has gone down 5-10 cm in the swamps, which means that there are places where there is a thin cover of ice, easily broken up, and underneath there is another layer of ice, much stronger, but it isn't such a nice feeling when the ice breaks under your feet.

The photographs were taken on January 15th in Helsinki while commuting.

(Posting title is from the poem Those Winter Sundays by Robert Hayden.)

No comments: