Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The library’s heavy door to the world

Today some good things happened at work. And yesterday wasn't bad either. I'm getting almost a feeling of contentment. Should I start worrying instead?

I have commuted by bicycle on two days this week, which means four hours of exercise so far. Tomorrow I'm planning to take the bus, I need a rest day.

The gear I have for riding the bicycle works rather well. This morning the temperature was -9 °C, and there was headwind 7 m/s, making it rather cold, but I didn't have any problems. The Buff merino wool headwear works very well in protecting the face, and it is versatile on how to put it on, in how many layers, etc.

I haven't been using my bicycle shoes and neoprene overshoes, though, because the toes tend to get cold when the temperature drops below -7 °C. Instead I'm using my Sievi hiking shoes with two layers of socks, merino wool underneath long thick wool socks. This works well even below -15 °C.

(Posting title is from the poem Girl in a Library by Gail Mazur.)

No comments: