Monday, September 30, 2013

You need not only silence but an entirely new life

I managed to do what I have been planning to do for some time: I walked for 4 1/2 hours in the swamps and forests in Nuuksio.

I started from the parking lot at Siikaranta, and walked to the east end of Soidinsuo swamp, the biggest swamp in Nuuksio. I explored Soidinsuo from east to west, and started then to walk north, to lake Iso-Holmajärvi, visiting lakes Poro-Kolmoislampi, Ympyrkäinenlampi and Pitkä Saarijärvi on the way. I returned via another route, circling via lakes Ahvenisto, Mustalampi, Vähä-Romlampi, Kolmoislammit and Siikajärvi. All in all I walked about 20 km, maybe a bit more, going slow in the beginning, and faster when returning to Siikaranta.

It was great to be outdoors, and the weather was perfect for walking, about +1 °C in the morning, and +6 °C around noon. During the night the temperature had dropped below freezing, and there were frozen cranberries at Soidinsuo swamp. However, almost all of the frost had disappeared by the time I was walking there.

The photographs were taken a week ago in Vaakkoi.

(Posting title is from the poem The Atrophy of Private Life by Jennifer Moxley.)

No comments: