Friday, September 27, 2013

With mittened hands, and caps drawn low

Tomorrow I'm planning to go to the movies with the children. It has been several months since I last saw a movie. And about two months since I watched tv.

This week I commuted by bicycle on four days. It was already quite cold, one morning the temperature was -1 °C, otherwise 2...5 °C. And when returning home is was only slightly warmer, 5...8 °C. I realized my gloves are no longer warm enough, as the fabric has worn rather thin, and there are holes in the finger parts.

Today I shopped on the net for new gloves, and finally bought skiing gloves, which probably are quite all right for riding the bicycle. I also bought lobster-style bicycle mittens for colder weather, to be used when the temperature is -5...-10 °C. For even colder weather I have thick mittens, but they are a bit too warm when the temperature is above -10 °C.

Also, I have been hungry most of the time. I wonder whether this is due to commuting by bicycle and other exercise, or is autumn causing it?

The photographs were taken a week ago at lake Myllyjärvi in Luukki.

(Posting title is from the poem Snow-Bound: A Winter Idyl by John Greenleaf Whittier.)

No comments: