Sunday, August 4, 2013

Look in that bewildered way

Yesterday I started reading the novel The Keep by Jennifer Egan, in a Finnish translation, Sydäntorni. Earlier I have read the novel A visit from the Goon Squad both in English and in Finnish, and it did make an impression, even though I felt there was something a bit too contrived in the telling of the story. In the The Keep I felt there was a deep feeling of humanity, with flaws and all.

The Keep reminds me of some wonderful books, such as Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, and The Cave by José Saramago, not of the story in these books but of the wonderful description of a borderline condition between the real and the unreal, the old world and a new one, the horror and the beauty.

And even though The Keep may be flawed in the end, I felt alive and aware when reading the book, which isn't the case with too many books.

(Posting title is from the poem The Flash Reverses Time by A. Van Jordan.)

4 comments:

Markus said...

Fine images, Juha, especially the first one. Maybe it's my stressed brain, but the simplest composition here appeals most to me.

Juha Haataja said...

Thanks, Markus.

I was a bit bewildered with which one of these to select, so I posted three different ones. I took quite a few photographs, and expected most from the last one posted here, but it didn't turn out better than the others.

Markus Spring said...

In my eyes the last one suffers from that brown leaf behind the berries too much. Maybe I have difficulties reading and enjoying too complicated setups, therefore the first one with the color-wise clear distinction of fruit and leaves is more succinct for me.

Juha Haataja said...

Indeed, simple is best, and too much stuff is what is wrong with the last one. The camera and the eye see a bit differently, especially with closeups.