Monday, August 26, 2013

I like to ride my bicycle with the wind at my back

While riding the bicycle to Solvalla in Nuuksio and back home on Saturday, I rested for a couple of minutes by Haltia Nature Center, which is a new building, opened this summer. I didn't go exploring what is inside, but I do like how the building looks from outside. It fits well the place beside the lake. The word Finnish "haltia" is in English elf, fairy, leprechaun, but I'm not sure how that would fit the theme of the building.

On Sunday I had a walk with my daughter in Nuuksio, visiting four lakes there: Hauklampi, Häränsilmä, Valkialampi and Kolmperä. We had picnic by lake Valkialampi, at the site where camping in tents is possible. It was quiet, and we didn't meet any other people while walking. This is a part of Nuuksio which I haven't explored at all, and there is quite a lot to see.

(Posting title is from the poem Fairy Tales from the Web by Ish Klein.)

2 comments:

Cedric Canard said...

This does look like a nice piece of architecture. I like it when concrete and wood are used in this manner. I especially like the staircase. Quite spectacular.

Juha Haataja said...

I didn't climb up to the top where there is an open viewing gallery over the lake. Haltia Nature Center is probably going to be rather popular for visitors, as it is only 30-40 minutes by car from Helsinki. And there is the Nuuksio wilderness, with broad well-maintained paths starting from Haltia for those who like it easy.