Sunday, July 21, 2013

Wouldn’t she love this one

I took these photographs in Vaakkoi on July 10th, which was a rainy day. I ate a lot of blueberries, and explored parts of Vaakkoi where I had not been before.

Here follows some reporting from our trip in Lapland, where the landscape is much more sparse, and the short summer is moving towards autumn.

On Saturday morning I did some rowing with my daughter in a boat on the lake by the Salla hills. It was very quiet, only a little wind, and the rain had ceased by morning.

On Saturday evening I walked around in the forests between the two Salla hills, the small and the bigger one, and found a walking path to the top of the bigger one. And of course I walked up the path, to the top of the hill, where there is a small observation tower.

Lower down where the ground was wet there were a few mosquitoes, but for some reason they seemed to be of a less aggressive variety than what we have in the south, so they were not a problem.

It was very quiet on the path. When I returned back down I met one dog bringing two humans with him, and that was all. The path was in excellent condition. I had rubber boots on, but it would have been all right to use running shoes. All in all the walk took about 2 1/2 hours, plenty of exercise for one day.

(Posting title is from the poem Beech Forest by Stephen Sandy.)

No comments: