Friday, June 21, 2013

I studied the folds in your jacket

I have been thinking about getting a new jacket for walking in forests, since my current one, an eight-year-old Berghaus Gore-Tex jacket starts to be close to finishing. The front zipper is broken, and even though I can keep the jacket closed with buttons, it is not quite the same.

There is a lot of wear, and even though the jacket still mostly keeps the rain out, some of the seams are leaking. And Gore-Tex has the problem of keeping the moisture inside when the weather is humid and cold, and that doesn't feel so good, even though usually in rainy weather the jacket is rather good if one moves slow enough not to get sweaty.

I'm not sure whether I should buy a new Gore-Tex jacket, or try something else, something more breathable. One choice could be a Fjällräven jacket, made from G-1000 fabric.

Another thing is the form of the jacket. The Berghaus jacket was just about perfect, long enough to keep the back warm even when carrying a backbag, with two side pockets protected by flaps, one front pocket inside, a hood which can be hidden inside the collar, and so on.

There are a lot of choices in jackets these days, but few seem to be such to suit my needs, to have a pocket for a camera, another for a map and a compass, and a third one for a mobile phone and keys.

(Posting title is from the poem After the Auction, I Bid You Good-Bye by Aimee Nezhukumatathil.)

No comments: