Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Final proof he was not handicapped by his handicap?

On Tuesday I commuted by bicycle, which was 1 1/2 hours of exercise. After making dinner at home I went with my oldest daughter for a walk in the Petikko forests, for 45 minutes. Then I spend some time outside in the yard with my youngest daughter. And at the end of the day I made some small repairs to the bicycle, installing new brake pads, cleaning the chain etc., and after this I went for a test drive with my second oldest daughter. And oh yes, I did some walking at work when going to a meeting. Not bad for one day.

These photographs were taken on Saturday at Vaakkoi. It seems I'll be much behind in processing my photographs this week.

(Posting title is from the poem Tomahawk by Mark Rudman.)

6 comments:

Francesco said...

Very well Juha! Sometimes managing all the duties is so overwhelming...

Juha Haataja said...

So it is Francesco... But it is nice to notice that children want to be outdoors, not just play computer games all day long.

Francesco said...

You're right: we sometimes forget that playing/walking outdoors is very important for them.

Juha Haataja said...

Somehow it feels that quite a lot of the things humans have invented are making us behave in a way which is not good for us: cars, television, fast food, ... On the other hand, there is the bicycle, a supreme invention if ever there was one.

Francesco said...

I completely agree. One of my regret is not using bicycle more than I do actually. In Rome traffic is chaotic and there are few bicycle paths. We have a new major now, who planned more bicycle paths: I hope this will not remain only a plan...

Juha Haataja said...

I'm relatively lucky with my bicycle commute in Helsinki, as a lot of it is along a railway track where there is a good bicycle path.

But in the center of Helsinki the situation is not so good, one needs to ride either on the sidewalk where people are walking, or on the street, part of which is cobbled, where one needs to be careful with cars, trams and buses. But mostly it is ok, far from the chaos you have in Rome. And we have plans for new bicycle paths which should help the situation a lot.