Wednesday, April 3, 2013

There was a frozen tree that I wanted to paint

I took these photographs on Monday in Nuuksio, where we walked the same route as on Sunday, but in opposite direction.

Today I commuted by bicycle. It has been over a month since the last time, and it was slow going. It took 55 minutes to get to work, and 63 minutes to get home, even though the roads were mostly quite ok. There was some icy and snowy patches, and lot of gravel on the road, but all in all it was surprisingly good. I still have studded tires, and they helped especially in places where there was water on top of ice.

However, I was slow, I just couldn't go any faster. That may be due to the pause of a month, or the flu which caused the physical condition to deteriorate. However, I wasn't very tired afterwards but recovered quite soon from the commute, which may mean that there is nothing wrong with the condition, I'm just a bit slow currently.

Yesterday I wrote about the book Wild by Cheryl Strayed. Today I published a book review of it (in Finnish).

And it seems that there might be a Finnish translation coming, as Finland is one of the countries for which the rights have been sold. And there might be a movie coming as well. And no wonder, there are a lot of juicy bits in the book. As an example, Strayed bought hiking boots which were one size too small, resulting in blisters and bruises. And she lost six toenails during the hike. Pulling a toenail loose should look great in a movie.

Update: The book has been translated in Finnish, the title is Villi vaellus.

(Posting title is from the poem vegas by Charles Bukowski.)

No comments: