Thursday, February 28, 2013

Thaw us a warm seat to our rest

Here are photographs from earlier this week, but I'm slowly catching up. Today I commuted by bus, reading the first part of the autobiographical books My Struggle (Min kamp) by Karl Ove Knausgård, which I mentioned on Monday. I'm even more impressed as I continue reading.

Today I borrowed two books from the library with the name Ansel Adams in the title: Digital landscape photography - in the footsteps of Ansel Adams and the great masters by Michael Frye, and Ansel Adams - the spirit of wild places by Eric Peter Nash. I'm not yet sure whether they are any good.

A week ago I bought two Ansel Adams books through Amazon, second-hand books and thus very cheap: Ansel Adams' Letters and Images , 1916-1984, and Ansel Adams: A Biography. Both have been shipped and I'm eagerly waiting. However, Pentti Sammallahti's book Here, Far Away which I ordered on January 12th is still waiting for shipping confirmation at Amazon.co.uk, and it may be that it will never become available. A pity.

The latter book is written by Mary Street Alinder, and it is said that this book is really good, showing the complex character that Adams was, "an intimate and provocative portrait of the world's most famous photographer". Of Adams autobiography from 1985 it has been said that it "presented a life almost as neatly cropped and printed as his magnificent pictures". Hmmm...

(Posting title is from the poem The Grasshopper by Richard Lovelace.)

No comments: