Friday, January 11, 2013

The weight of a sip

Yesterday the topic of green tea came up while having a discussion with a friend, and yesterday evening I started reading about various types of green tea on the net. But the shops on the net are just too tempting, and it didn't take long until I had made an order for four different types of green tea: Junshan Yinzhen, Ruay Suin, Yunnan Bi Luo Chun, and Wu Liang Zhen Mei.

Of these only Yunnan Bi Luo Chun was known to me previously, and it is my all-time favorite, so-called "Green Snail Spring Tea". Another favorite, which I have been drinking at work recently, is Yellow Tea Huang Xiao, and I'm waiting to compare it to Junshan Yinzhen, a yellow tea which is said to be rather excellent. (In fact, while writing this, I got an e-mail saying that my order for tea had been shipped.)

I have also tried green tea from other places than China. Vietnam Ché Ngon So was rather good, although maybe a bit plain. I have also something rather different waiting to be tasted, Pu-Erh Lao Mao Cha. I'm not sure at all whether I will like it as I have never tasted a Pu-erh tea before.

For brewing the loose-leaf teas I have been using a Piao i type glass teapot with an infuser, which makes it easy to make several cups of tea from the same leaves. I have one such teapot at home and one at work, and both get a lot of use. The one at home is a bit broken (the button opening the valve at the bottom no longer works properly), but it works well enough for now. I have had both teapots for a year, and given the amount of use they have I'm not too unhappy with the durability.

(Posting title is from the poem Tea-Strainer by Joyelle McSweeney.)

No comments: