Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Was rash and Polaroid

Today I went shopping with the daughters, to a shop where I was the only non-female present, maybe because of the shop contents: retail outlet chain of fabrics. But the daughters had fun looking through what was available.

Recently I have been reading old photography books borrowed from the local library. One of the nicest finds was Singular Images by Ansel Adams. I wrote a book review of it in Finnish. And it so happens that at the Finnish Museum of Photography there is an exhibition of just this kind of photographs, made with Polaroid technology.

(Posting title is from the poem Song by Randall Mann.)

4 comments:

Francesco said...

Adams is one of my favourites. I think the "trilogy" is a great lecture, not only for the explanation of general concepts and techniques, but also because illustrate the methodology behind each photos.

Juha Haataja said...

@Francesco: I guess I need to continue with the "lecture", for sure there is a lot to be learned even though one wouldn't be into b&w photography.

I wonder what Adams would have done with digital - a RAW shooter for sure. ;-)

Francesco said...

Not only he would have been a RAW shooter, but he would have brought with him a lot of optical tools, cameras, tripod... ;-) (I only have an ultracompact!)

Are you not tempted by b&w photography?

My bad english has suggested me the wrong word (lecture). I think you certainly have understood what I meant (book/reading). Sorry.

Juha Haataja said...

@Francesco: The word "lecture" is excellent in this context, I like it, and it brings to mind the famous physics textbook "The Feynman Lectures on Physics". Adams' books do have the same originality and precise thinking.

I have tried b&w occasionally, even making a SoFoBoMo photo book with b&w photographs, but it doesn't come naturally to me. Altough, occasionally, I see something that suggests b&w. Maybe I try it once again some day.