Thursday, August 23, 2012

She walks through the air the rain has washed

According to TOP, yesterday was annual Street Photography Day. And as I wrote yesterday, I didn't take any photographs then.

But today I did, of streets, although these are not really what is meant by street photography, as most were taken from inside a car.

It was a rainy day today, and I commuted by car, because of meetings. Speaking of the car, I have been rather happy, as it has passed the mandatory annual vehicle inspection. The car is 12 years old, and I was worried that there would be expensive repairs ahead, but all went well. There weren't any defects, and not even a remark was noted, all was fine. For a year...

(Posting title is from the poem A Man Meets a Woman in the Street by Randall Jarrell.)

2 comments:

Paul said...

Ah, yes. The annual vehicle inspection. Mine is due by the end of the month. Hopefully, it will pass with flying colors, as well. It seems more of a ruse, to me, to get additional money for the state. On of our neighboring states, South Carolina, doesn't require vehicle inspections and many people from there work in North Carolina. Some say that's one of the reason that they moved across the border and still work in NC. No inspections and lower taxes. :)

Juha Haataja said...

Paul, here in Finland we had a state monopoly which did the inspections. Then the inspections were privatized, the aim of which was lowering of the prices and better service because of competition.

Well, the prices have about doubled, and I don't think the service is much more customer-friendly than it used to be. That said, I haven't had much to complain about the inspections, even though the old car causes some extra anxiety each year.