Thursday, July 12, 2012

To growl a growl and bite a bite

I went with the children to Korkeasaari Zoo today (meaning Wednesday, I posted this a bit after midnight), where we had a nice time, walking around and enjoying the scenery. It wasn't hot, below +20 °C, which was fine, and we saw quite a lot of animals.

The photograph of a bear is dedicated to Errol who was interested in whether one should worry about bears when picking blueberries in Finland. This is the closest I have ever come to a bear.

As I wrote yesterday, I switched from Firefox to Google Chrome, and so far so good. But then there is the question of whether Google is to be trusted.

Yesterday there were some headlines on how Google was spying on users, gaining access to their information: "[Google] is nearing an agreement to pay $22.5 million to settle a U.S. Federal Trade Commission probe[...] Google, using its DoubleClick ad network, violated users’ privacy."

So, am I naive in trusting Google with Chrome?

But anyway, I think I'll try Chrome for a while, and if it works better than Firefox (as it seems to do), I'll continue using it.

Today I got the HP Photosmart 6510 multifunction printer, of which I wrote earlier. As an unanticipated bonus I got an extra black ink cartridge for three euros, a quarter of the normal price.

And surprise, surprise, the printer was easy to set up through the wireless connection, no USB cables needed. I managed to do duplex printing, and also scanning seems to work perfectly using the supplied Mac software. The printer is not the most speediest, but it seems to be of reasonably good design.

(Posting title is from the poem Why Nobody Pets the Lion at the Zoo by John Ciardi.)

No comments: