Friday, July 20, 2012

Illustrating imbecile illusions of happiness

Today I decided to have a look at the scenery north of the Ring III road at Vantaa. There are construction sites seemingly all over, so I had some difficulty navigating with the bicycle, but after some detours I found a rather nice route.

I didn't take photographs of the fine country landscape, only the places where I stopped to have a look at the map or to drink water. So, you see here rather "concrete" landscape photographs. In all I rode the bicycle for 35 km, first time this week, and it felt good.

To balance this rather austere set of photographs, I thought to link to something maybe not quite as concrete. I'm not quite sure what to think of this kind of photography, life imitating graffiti: You are not Banksy. At least it is rather different.

Posting title is from the poem In Goya’s Greatest Scenes We Seem to See... by Lawrence Ferlinghetti. I was thinking about Paul Maxims excellent posting "Reason, Standing on its Head" when selecting the title for this posting.

2 comments:

Markus said...

Oh yes, the reference of your headline of today to Paul Maxim's post and your comment on it was immediately clear for me. And I like that title... so I just have to read (and understand) the poem.

Juha Haataja said...

@Markus: What is remarkable is that the poem was written in 1950's (1956?), and to me it feels as if written today (or rather tomorrow). If one takes the liberty of interpreting "roads" as "internet", then there is a further (less concrete) interpretation to be found to the poem.

I just realized that the poems of Lawrence Ferlinghetti have been translated even into Finnish; I reserved that collection (poems 1955-2000) from the library.