Thursday, October 20, 2011

Forgetting the rules

This morning we had thick clouds and rain, but there was a break in the clouds just before sunrise, and the clouds got a strange rose-tinted color. I listened to the radio and the people in the studio were wondering at the colors as well.

At sunset there was again a color show, and I caught some of it while walking around a nearby lake. A nice end to the day.

At work we had today our company's 40th anniversary. We celebrated it with customers, partners and previous members of the staff. 40 years in the IT business, that is quite a feat. I have only been there for 21 years...

Returning to photography, TOP posted an excellent article by Ctein, titled 'Expose to the Right' is a Bunch of Bull. It sure is worth reading.

2 comments:

Sven W said...

To me this all seems like a "storm in a teacup".

When I started with digital some 4 years ago, I quickly figured out myself to "expose for the highlights" and a reliable way to do it (i.e meter off the brighter part of the image).

The 2003 article by MR and the August 2011 update both clearly state the objective is to "expose for the highlights". The flaw in the 2003 article is the suggested method, which is to do your normal metering then add a stop or so ... clearly a hit and miss proposition.

MR also suggests that the camera manufacturers move away from their current [complex] metering methods and implement an auto "expose for the highlights" feature. A good proposition that hasn't been taken up.

Juha Haataja said...

@Sven W: I have always wondered about this "rule", as it seemed idiotic, but your explanation of the "lost in translation" part makes sense.

Anyway, as I shoot jpeg and try to get the shot right in the camera, this rule definitely does not apply. And besides, I have a dark worldview. ;-)

I have every once in a while thought about switching to spot metering, but on the other hand, I have grown rather adept in guessing what the situation requires. Not that there aren't lots and lots of photographs to be deleted with my way of shooting.