Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Secret of Tremanskärr - yet another SoFoBoMo 2011 photo book

Yesterday I complained about lack of motivation; today I made a photo book, from start to finish, in less than 12 hours.

The Tremanskärr nature reserve in Espoo is a great place to visit, offering a lot of swamp types, forests, and a lake. I took 1042 photographs there today, and out of these I made a 64-page photo book titled The Secret of Tremanskärr. It is available in PDF (11 MB file) at the SoFoBoMo site.

By the way, I'm starting to wonder about how well the Panasonic LX5 batteries perform. I'm now at the fifth charge of the batteries, at over 6000 photographs taken. Today the first battery run out after 11 photographs, and with the second one - a Panasonic original, I don't dare to buy copies - I took 1000+ photographs. And there is still plenty of juice left (full three bars).

I think the battery is rated at 400 photographs, and I'm getting more than three times that amount. There are several reasons, such my shooting habits. Typically I keep the camera on just a few seconds, taking only a few photographs in quick succession. Another reason may be that I'm shooting 1:1 format, which has less pixels to push. Also, it may be that using aperture priority with most of "intelligent automatics" turned off may conserve energy.

Anyway, I'm much pleased with the batteries. With the LX3 I typically got up to 800 photographs; with the LX5 I'm getting 50% more with one charge.

5 comments:

Andreas said...

Juha, honestly, think of the feelings of all those others who have not even one :) :) :)

Cool!

Juha Haataja said...

@Andreas: Thanks! There is something unresistable in having a printed book in the hand. And the workflow of making a photo book has become rather smooth, so it is even harder to resist...

jak said...

really excellent material here!
although i am film camera enthusiast, i think you are doing a marvellous job at rekindling interest in photograghy, especially in these days of information overload via the web etc.
goodness knows what our childrens children will be doing with their spare time...sitting on the couch 24hrs a day...?? hope not! anyway, d drop in and have a look at me on http://filmcamera999.wordpress.com
be pleased to see what you think!

Juha Haataja said...

@jak: Thanks!

Juha Haataja said...

Just a note - I finally got around to identifying the species of spider which I found in Tremanskärr: great raft spider (Dolomedes plantarius). It is the biggest spider we have in Finland.