Thursday, August 18, 2011

Loving big steel objects

This morning I head on the radio an interview of a Finnish photographer (I didn't catch the name), who is taking photographs of harbors and things like shipping containers and oil tanks.

The interviewer said something like "So, you want to make these things look beautiful?"

To this the photographer replied: "No. For me they are beautiful. I love big steel objects, for example the rust in the edges of containers."

I wonder why it is so that not everyone sees the beauty of big steel objects.

Anyway, perhaps related to this is the following quote from Plato's Symposium: "[...] drawing towards and contemplating the vast sea of beauty, he will create many fair and noble thoughts and notions in boundless love of wisdom; until on that shore he grows and waxes strong, and at last the vision is revealed to him of a single science, which is the science of beauty everywhere."

I'm still learning the basic things about Aperture. Couldn't resist playing with the adjustments in the photographs above. Although finally I did turn down the effects quite a lot.

One funny thing: face recognition in Aperture seems to find faces anywhere - it seems to love landscape photographs.

No comments: