Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Any help on iPhoto disk use growing uncontrollably?

When I installed Lion (Mac OS X 10.7) on the iMac, the free space on the hard disk was at 110 GB. Now the free disk is disappearing, and I think iPhoto is to blame. There has been a decrease of 50 GB in the free space within a couple of weeks. (An a similar increase in iPhoto disk use.)

I have a bit more than 24,000 photographs in iPhoto, and the iPhoto folder consumes 307 GB. This doesn't hold - of most photographs there should be just one copy, and a miniature.

I tried fixing the library, but iPhoto got stuck at 95% completion level. I tried this a couple of times, with the same result (even after iPhoto had been going on for hours).

I haven't had other symptoms, except occasional slowness of the program. But I would like to get the disk space back. Any hints?

2 comments:

Christophe said...

Hi Juha,

Did you try exploring the iPhoto package with the finder in order to figure out the subfolder size breakdown?

Kind Regards,

Christophe

Juha Haataja said...

@Christophe: Thanks! That was a great idea, it lead to a diagnosis. Now I have plenty of disk space available.