Saturday, May 28, 2011

Getting lost in Bristol

I spent a couple of days in Bristol, in a green ICT workshop. I have found that the best way to learn to know a city is to get lost in it, and this happened also in Bristol.

Of course, I wasn't really lost, as I had a map of the city, and there was a good map also in my Nokia E7, but it was interesting to walk without looking at them, trying to navigate in an unknown environment.

I have grown fond of the feeling of being lost. It is a fresh feeling, of seeing the world anew. How many times do you have this experience in your normal daily routines?

Bristol is a green city, with hills all around. A place that seemed to be the right size for a city, at least so it felt.

But some things weren't so good: late at night there were drunken young people on the streets, shouting, singing, vomiting and fighting. (We were told that it is much worse during weekends.) My hotel was in Clifton, a quiet area, but some colleagues whose hotel was in the center of the city had difficulties in sleeping because of the noise from the street.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

ITs easy to get lost in Bristol I did it the other night and I was born there great photos as always

Juha Haataja said...

Thanks! Indeed: a lot of curving streets, hills, and buildings which don't seem to have any unifying logic.