Sunday, January 30, 2011

Live histogram and other necessities


Blur, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Lamp, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Sunny, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Apparently the Olympus XZ-1 does support live histogram display, at least according to the Olympus compacts specification document available on the web (DICompact_specifications_2011.pdf). It lists the histogram as part of displayed live view information. This is good, one of the things I have grown to depend on the LX3, without even much thinking about it.

I think you can guess I'm still debating the merits of the XZ-1. Not yet quite convinced, but on the verge. The lens is impressive, both in brightness (f/1.8-2.5) and the 28-112 mm range. And the sensor seems to be competent, though not perhaps quite as good as on the Canon S95. However, the jpeg engine seems to produce excellent results, and that is what matters for me.

But would the XZ-1 really be a better camera for me than the LX3? That is the question.

Anyway, here are two photographs taken yesterday and one taken today. Feeling tired still.

2 comments:

David John Shewsbury said...

After reading the review, I personally think Olympus XZ-1 is an improvement on the LX3 and LX5 - most notably the excellent i.Zuiko Lens with F/1.8 - that is awesome...

But then again, I think it is not enough to make me divorced with my LX3...

It's an outstanding camera no doubt, I personally hope that the LX5 would have such spec but it doesn't....

Maybe my brand loyalty to Panasonic is another factor.

I guess I (and maybe you) should consider the Fujifilm X100 instead... hehehehehe....

Juha Haataja said...

Well, the X100 is certainly interesting, but it is just too limited in some ways, for example for macro photography. But tempting, yes.