Thursday, December 9, 2010

Refreshing walk in a snow storm


Window view, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Path, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Lights, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Swirling, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Lights and shadows, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

It may be surprising to you that sometimes the best thing you can do is to take a 1 1/2 hour walk in a snow storm. But so it is, provided you cover your head, hands and feet properly. Walk fast enough, and you for sure won't get cold, especially if you walk against the wind.

One reason for the need for such extreme refreshment may be the short days we have - today length of day was 6 hours 1 minute. You won't see much sunlight this time of the year.

Because of the darkness, I today finally switched the LX3 to use ISO 400 in the custom settings. There is more noise visible, especially as I have nr set to -2, but I don't mind, it sort of adds to the atmosphere. And in fact, I feel that the photographs from today succeeded rather well. That, though, may be due to the good feeling you get by walking in a snow storm.

5 comments:

Richard Beddard said...

I'm thinking, in the winter Finns should start work earlier and finish work later and have a three or four hour lunch break. Do you?

Juha Haataja said...

Unfortunately, no. But near midsummer we get to see the other side of the coin, or should I say the other side of the Earth orbit - short nights, long days. It evens out.

Sven W said...

Living in Australia (Adelaide) these images look surreal to me. It doesn't get cold enough to snow, perhaps some hail once a year.

But on the other hand, we can get summer days over 45C.

Markus Spring said...

The last image is for me - those shadows are wonderfully complementing the shapes of the branches.

Juha Haataja said...

@Sven: Having no snow ever, I can't even think how that would feel. Real season, that is what I like.

@Markus: I don't usually do any post-processing, but here I did a b&w conversion in iPhoto; the different hues of artificial light were just too distracting.