Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sell the LX3 and buy the Sony NEX-5?


Stump, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Green, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

I discussed cameras with a colleague, who also has a Panasonic LX3. He told that he is planning to sell the LX3, and buy a bigger-sensor camera, maybe the Sony NEX-5. Certainly not the LX5, which is not much different from the LX3.

I pointed out that the Sony NEX-5 has got a lot of negative criticism in camera reviews, due to the hard-to-use interface.

For example, DCRP Review writes: "Poorly designed, menu-centric user interface makes using the camera way more difficult than it should be." And PDN Camera Review writes: "So what’s not to like? Well, for starters, while consumers might enjoy the camera’s menu-based interface which includes lots of photographic handholding, pros likely won’t."

My colleague pointed out that the LX3 is also quite a complex camera, and in practical use the NEX-5 wouldn't probably be any worse. You could learn to live with it in time.

I have been thinking about this since, and I must admit there is some truth to this. With practice you can learn to cope with almost anything.

But I disagree about the complexity of the LX3. Yes, I admit that the camera is quite complex overall, but in those functions which I actually use, it couldn't be much simpler and easier to use. So, while it took some time to learn the LX3, since the initial learning curve it has been rather easy to use.

But - and this is a bit but - I can easily see camera interfaces which drive you crazy even when you become familiar with them. And from the reviews I have seen this may be the case with the NEX-5. Image quality is usually praised, but the usability gets bad marks from the experienced reviewers.

And no, I'm not planning to sell the LX3 or to buy the NEX-5. The basic reason is laziness - why fix something that works - and another is the availability of lenses for the NEX-5. Also, with a set of lenses capable of the same as the LX3, the NEX-5 wouldn't be pockatable any more, far from it.

Update: I have posted a photograph of the same subject as in the second photograph previously. This photograph is different enough so I decided to post it as well.

8 comments:

Andreas said...

Well, if I were in the business of buying an EVIL camera, I can currently think of nothing but an Olympus, most likely the EP-L1 or probably (if the cheaper one lacks some feature that I can't live without) the EP-2. Why? Sensor stabilization!

For some insane reason all other EVILs need lens stabilization, and if I have an electronic viewfinder (or the backside display) anyway, there is no reason why lens stabilization should have an advantage. It's just stupid.

Imagine my humble Nikon 85/1.8 on this camera. What a nice concert combo! Other than a Nikon adapter I would only buy the Panasonic 20/1.7. Perfect!

Juha Haataja said...

Well, the E-PL1 and the Panasonic 20 mm f/1.7 is certainly tempting.

If I would switch to a mirrorless camera, having a small prime and image stabilization in the body seems the best solution. (Some also claim that Olympus has a dust removal system that actually works.)

But for the E-PL1 I would like to have a nice and small wide prime, 10 or 12 mm, and a macro, 40-50 mm. I'm not sure whether such already exist.

Andreas said...

Panasonic/Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm 2.8 ASPH OIS. Cheapest price in Austria is 728€ :)

As regards wide primes, forget them. 17mm is as wide as primes get. Otoh, for only 1135€ you get a Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm 4.0 ASPH that is supposed to be stellar. Well :)

Juha Haataja said...

Thanks for the tips!

Those lenses would nicely slim down the wallet... but I guess quality never comes cheap.

Anonymous said...

Even though reviewers aren't happy with Nex interface, some users seems to love it. It's hard to say anything about the interface unless you use it yourslef and aren't happy with it.

Juha Haataja said...

@Anonymous: Indeed, one has to try the thing out to make a decision.

TOP has currently an interesting opinion about this (optical viewfinder for the GF1).

P from Belgium said...

I'm in the same impasse, LX5 or GF1, or wait a little for maturing market? Although the NEX is smaller and has a larger sensor, I cannot stand touchpad or long menus. I want buttons and custom shortcuts.

Juha Haataja said...

There can also be too many buttons and shortcuts. I think Olympus cameras are quite well equipped in this department, but the E-PL1 seems to be an exception, quite sparse. Which may be good or bad.