Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Helsinki - city landscapes


Window, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

A Taste of Finland, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Keep clean, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Today I was in Helsinki again, in a meeting of the steering group for the classification of academic publication channels (Julkaisufoorumin ohjausryhmä). The day was clouded, and there were once again some problems in finding a parking place near the meeting place.

In any case, here are three photographs from today. Of the first I might comment something related to the use of HDR, but that may keep to a later posting. In the third one we have two synchronous walkers and a sign saying to keep clean.

The second photograph contains a sign saying "A Taste of Finland", and I just must to point to the Newsweek report which tells that Finland is the best country in the world. Who would have guessed?

Well, being Finns, we are eagerly tearing the report into pieces, finding problems everywhere. The statistics about education are misleading, the analysis is poorly done, there may be basic arithmetic mistakes in the analysis, and in any case it is of no use, Finland will never be an attractive country for foreigners. And so on, ad nauseam.

Well, to some more positive topics - reviews/previews of the Panasonic LX5. Namely, there is one from Sweden, and one from Australia. Both of the reviews/previews have weaknesses, but the camera does show some promise.

2 comments:

Jarno said...

Regarding photo 2 I see a taste of Bavarian cars as well.

My colleagues have been requesting me to bring / offer some kalakukko (fishpie) after some careless CSC colleagues told them that it tastes excellent. I obviously should find a place and occasion to offer that during the upcoming DEISA meeting in Helsinki/Espoo..

I have tried to inform them that the salty Brezels are not good for health. However, Finland was badly only 17th on the Newsweek's health statistics..

Juha Haataja said...

Some foodstuff has to be an acquired taste - from childhood.

Today my taste on Japanese cars was confirmed as I got my 10-year old Avensis through "katsastus" without any complaints.