Thursday, July 22, 2010

Visiting the Linnanmäki amusement park


Linnanmäki amusement park, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Welcome, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Circus, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Weights, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Yesterday we went to the Linnanmäki amusement park in Helsinki. It was a hot day, but there was some wind which helped somewhat. Lots of people in the park, long queues, but nevertheless it was fun.

I did some low-light photography with the LX3 during a ride, and I rather like the motion-blur effect. It sort of suits the topic.

Speaking of the LX3, it seems that the sceptics have come out regarding the LX5, claiming that ISO 1600 is worse on the new camera than on the LX3. Well, I don't put much weight on pixel-peeping. But if ISO 800 delivers somewhat acceptable results, and ISO 400 is all right, that would be good, and rather good from a small-sensor camera.

After studying the new controls of the LX5, I'm starting to be optimistic about the usability. (See here.)

There are now dedicated buttons in the back for focus and ISO, and a dedicated playback button. On the LX3 I have mapped review to the function button, which would be free on the LX5 to other purposes, perhaps for changing the focusing mode etc.

Imaging resource provides a sort of technology preview of the LX5, which is interesting to read. The new lens seems to be very promising in terms of image quality. And autofocus speed is probably indeed improved compared to the LX3. And same for image stabilization. Well, that is the theory at least.

But without handling the camera in person it is very difficult to say how good it is in practice. For example, how the new jog wheel works, and are the LX3 nuisances corrected - the easily turning control wheel and the easily opening battery compartment door. At least it seems that the door is exactly the same as on the LX3.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the second image.
It's very good at 1/8, f/2, iso 100. Hand held?
Imagine what you can do with the LX5 at 1/30, f/2, iso 400-800.

I would like to wait and see if the Canon G12/s95 will do that.

Good job, beautiful colors and effect.


Art

-----

Martin Rye said...

Nice photos. I will take some convincing to part with my LX3. But if the LX5 wows me with images that have had little alteration I might get one.

Good blog by the way.

Sven W said...

I'm interested to hear your views / experience with the LX5. I'm looking for an upgrade to my Canon SD880 -- the Canon S90 doesn't quite make it.

Juha Haataja said...

I'm indeed tempted to try out the LX5.

It seems that usability may be an issue. The "top dial" seems to have the same problem of turning by mistake as on the LX3. Also, some say that the jog dial is difficult to use - turning or clicking it by mistake.