Thursday, July 29, 2010

More thoughts on the Panasonic LX5 - and durability of cameras


Leaning on water, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Nymphalis io, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

First, about the durability of cameras. I know that I should take care with cameras, but I often get quite involved in the situation of taking photographs, and mistakes happen. I have dropped the Panasonic LX3 half a dozen times. Two times on snow - no big deal. Two times on ice - fortunately, the camera showed no symptoms.

And twice on a floor - last weekend was when this happened last, from the waist height to a wooden floor. When I switched on the LX3, the camera moved the lens barrel forward and back several times, trying to get it to work right. It was a scary moment, but then everything came back to normal.

Perhaps I should also note that my previous camera, a Canon Digital Ixus 400, broke after five years of use when it was dropped on the floor. The lens cover didn't open any more, so I bought the LX3 as a replacement, and have been very happy with it.

After dropping the LX3 last weekend, I wondered whether the subconscious was sending me a message of some kind.

Well, then some words about the Panasonic LX5. As I wrote previously, I'm having some reservations about the camera. Is it a worthy update to the LX3?

It seems that the LX5 can generate competent color jpegs at ISO 400, maybe even at ISO 800. And for black-and-white you can probably use one step bigger sensitivity without much trouble. With the LX3, I have resorted to ISO 200 sometimes without big problems, but ISO 400 is usually too noisy with long enough exposures when noise piles up. With black-and-white images, ISO 400 is quite ok, and sometimes ISO 800 can be done, it may even suit the occasion and provide some natural noisiness to the photographs.

One big question about the LX5: how good it is to handle with gloves on, especially the new jog wheel? The joystick is not easy either but I can cope with it. This is quite important for winter use.

In all, I see no compelling reasons to switch to the LX5 from the LX3. But it would be nice to check the impressions. However, it seems that the LX5 may be available here in Finland in as late as September, so there is quite some time until one can try it out.

There are also some smaller questions. For example, what is the meaning of "my color" setting on the top wheel. Can you use it similar to the C1 and C2 custom settings, storing your favorite settings there (for example aperture priority etc.), or is the mode more limited, an automated one?

And then to taking photographs. Because of the heat, it has been exhausting to go out to take photographs except early in the mornings or late at night. Today we got a new record for summer temperature in Finland, 37.2 °C. It wasn't quite as hot here in Vantaa, but hot nevertheless.

Today I went out during the warmest part of the day, and tried to walk in shadows, in forests and shady meadows. Fortunately there were some clouds and a little bit of wind to take the worst of the heat away.

Starting tomorrow we'll have some cooler weather, it is a welcome change. And I hope there will be some rain - it is very dusty outside. You can see some of the dust in the photographs here.

As a final topic, I have been reading the essay series on color (parts 1, 2, 3) at Luminous Landscape. Good reading, although partly a bit too technical to my taste.

2 comments:

Paul Bradforth said...

On the dpreview site the Panasonic press release says:
"My Color mode is a special option that gives free reign to the user's creativity. User can select the color out of 12 options including Expressive, Retro, Pure, Elegant, Monochrome, Dynamic Art, Silhouette, Pin Hole, Film Grain, High Dynamic, Dynamic B&W and Custom (the parameter of color / brightness / saturation adjustable)."
… so that's not what you're looking for. If you go here though: http://bit.ly/90mpcR you can see the C1 and C2 positions on the top dial.

Juha Haataja said...

@Paul: Indeed, but I wonder how this differs from the existing film modes. I guess these 12 options are just additional automatic modes, you can't mix them up with aperture priority etc.