Friday, June 18, 2010

100,000 photographs taken with the Panasonic LX3 in 21 months


Buses in Helsinki, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Ladybug, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Red barn, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

My LX3 has now passed the milestone of 100,000 photographs taken. I have taken most of the photographs (well, 99 percent), but the family members have also used it. Our youngest daughter seems to have adapted my way of shooting, "take as many photographs as possible", taking 150 photographs in half an hour a couple of days ago.

I have had the camera since September, 2008, and it has served well. Once in a while I may have been looking at other cameras, especially the mirrorless 4/3 system, but I have realized the LX3 works better for me, when factoring in the pocketability and versatility.

With the LX3, I can take closeups, landscapes, family portraits, whatever is needed. Well, the zoom range of 24-60 mm does limit a bit at the long end, but I have found out that I'm using 24 mm most of the time, so it is better this way.

And even though the noise levels do go up after ISO 200, I can use ISO 400 if absolutely needed. And the f/2.0 lens means that with most other cameras I would need to use a much higher ISO to get similar low-light performance. Even at ISO 100 the camera can do miracles, especially as the image stabilization works so well. (I have managed to catch 1/2 second exposures handheld.)

What I have been thinking recently is getting another LX3 just in case. The price hasn't gone down any, it is the same as when I bought mine. But as there are no better cameras (for me), it would be good to have a spare just in case the current one breaks at some point.

5 comments:

Piet Osefius said...

You are absolutely right, it's a great little wonder ;) I'm also a LX3 owner and use it a lot of times, especially for street photography. If you like you can take a look at my photoblog.

ssp said...

Impressive number.

Both for you taking that many pictures (how do find time to filter/file/name/tag/whatever them?) and for the camera. I would have guessed those little cameras would break more quickly, being short-lived consumer products and all.

Juha Haataja said...

Indeed, the LX3 works wonderfully.

About workflow: I do it as simple as possible, straight jpegs from camera, delete 90-95% right away, and upload to Flickr what remains.

Unknown said...

I'll have to disagree a bit about the prices of LX3s. They have gone down considerably where I live (Philippines) which allowed me to FINALLY get one. And boy am I loving every minute of it! Wondered how I got along without the LX3 to begin with! Anyway, instead of getting another LX3, why not save it (i.e., baby it) and get a "beater" camera. An S90 perhaps or maybe the LX3 wannabe the Samsung EX1/TL500?

Juha Haataja said...

Well, I got mine at an introductory discount when it had just come out, and the price went up a bit afterwards, and then came a bit lower again.

It is indeed a good camera. Getting another doesn't tempt, although I admit having some curiousity towards the Samsung TL500/EX1. Getting another would mean learning new ways of operating the camera, and that would take a couple of months. I very much prefer taking photographs with a well-known tool.