Monday, May 3, 2010

The beauty of old grass


Old grass and flowers, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Leaf, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

I'm currently reading a novel by Antti Hyry - Uuni, "Oven" - which won the Finlandia litterature price. The book contains in the beginning a description of grass, the author stating that grass is most beautiful in autumn, or actually early spring, when the old grass shows its beauty. I had to go and take some photographs. Thanks for the inspiration.

Antti Hyry has inspired me previously. While I was in high school, I read him, and connected. His style is slow, meditative, focusing on the outer aspects of being, the so-called "iceberg method of writing", which for example Hemingway used. You could say that by focusing on the silence, Hyry writes about things which are almost impossible to write about.

Hyry is an engineer, and a writer. My two dream professions in high school were architecture and writing - but Hyry, being an engineer, encouraged me to try engineering as well. And so I became an engineer, studying at Helsinki University of Technology. But I never managed to learn writing as well as he.

Update: A note about inspiration.

No comments: