Saturday, February 27, 2010

Getting warmer


Rose, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Berries, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Melting, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Today the temperature rose above 0 °C, and snow started to melt and fall down from trees. It was thickly clouded, sun not visible at all. I went for a walk with the children. And we made some snowmen as well.

Yesterday I tried reading "Gravity's Rainbow" by Thomas Pynchon but failed miserably after two dozen pages or so. I have tried reading Pynchon earlier, but no luck. I think he is overrated as a writer. Or then I'm just stupid.

I started instead reading "The Hot Kid" by Elmore Leonard, and I'm almost finished with it. This novel is set in the time of The Great Depression. It is more black in tone than some other books by Leonard, but the realistic dialogue is once again first-class. His rule on writing is "If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it."

No comments: