Friday, January 8, 2010

Cold - and pondering cameras: LX3 and EP-1


Snow and shadows, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

There have been new records of coldness for this winter in Finland. Here in the Helsinki region it was -21 °C when I went out for a walk. Lots of snow everywhere, and it was hard to use the camera because the fingers got soon cold (even though I have very good gloves).

I have been thinking about the micro 4/3 cameras, especially the Olympus EP-1. Even though the LX3 is still going strong, I'm tempted. The best choice (in terms of capabilities) seems to be the Olympus EP-1 either body only or with the standard zoom. And a pancake lens, to keep the camera small: Panasonic 20 mm (40 mm equiv) f/1.7, which has got quite good reviews. With this combo you have an almost pocketable camera with excellent low-light capabilities plus image stabilization in the body.

But why then I haven't yet invested in a new camera? Well, I have just learned to use the LX3, and it works perfectly. The LX3 is smaller, the lens is great, and the camera is silent. Of course, EP-1 is not loud, but it isn't silent either.

But when an improved version of the EP-1 becomes available (I don't regard EP-2 as such) with a better selection of pancake lenses and primes, I'll probably switch. I would like to have (in addition to the 40 mm equiv. f/1.7) the following lenses: a 24 mm equiv. f/2.0 and a 85 mm equiv. f/2.8 macro. With these three lenses I would be very satisfied.

4 comments:

Q said...

What about the Panasonic GF1 - does that camera interest you?

Juha Haataja said...

It would, if there would be image-stabilized pancake lenses to go with it. There are benefits to image stabilization in the body of EP-1. And I think EP-1 has a slightly better high-ISO properties, though the difference is slight.

Q said...

Thanks for the reply. Something else to check out now - wish me luck.

Juha Haataja said...

TOP Camera of the Year 2009 contains interesting discussion about micro 4/3 cameras (and also some others).