Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Three-hour meeting: 438 kcal


Movement, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Branching, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Lights, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Today I got an early Christmas present - a Polar heart-rate monitor watch. (Everyone at our company got one.) I put the monitor on at 8 am and took it off at 8 pm.

Every once in a while I switched on the monitor and checked the results, for example after climbing the stairs etc. (Immediately after the climb the rate was 120, after sitting in the chair for one minute it went down to 48.)

During the afternoon I was in a long meeting and the heart-rate monitor happened to be on all the time. In two hours 48 minutes the watch estimated that I had used 438 kcal of energy.

Late evening we had a walk with the wife, and I switched on the monitor. During the 52 minute walk I used 385 kcal of energy according to the watch. Not bad for getting into shape (and perhaps losing a bit of weight as well).

I'm not sure whether I'll continue using the Polar watch regularly, but it is a rather nice device, after you get it set up properly. Fortunately, I had some expert instruction on this earlier this year, so there were no problems today.

Here are three photographs taken during the walk. It was cold, about -16°C, a nice winter night. There was a little bit of cloud cover forming up, reflecting the city lights in the west and south directions, and perhaps we will get some more snow during the night.

2 comments:

Q said...

How did you get the colors in the photos of the green trees? Is it just the color of the street lighting or did you do something post-capture.

Lovely photoblog. :-)

Juha Haataja said...

I lightened up the shadows in Lightzone, and very slightly changed the color balance. The red colors in the back are caused by orange-tinted lights on the streets and parking lots which are beyond the small hill. Lights on this side are more normal (or bluish).