Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Hurried


Playground, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Today I wasn't able to go out until at children's bedtime. I had meetings one after another and some of them lasted so long that I managed to get to the next meeting only when it was already closing down. And others I had to leave in the middle to get to the next one. Not so nice.

But I'm feeling good nevertheless. The iMac which had disk troubles last weeked is doing well, no symptoms of breakage so far. And the computer is in fact significantly faster in disk operations compared to before, so it may be that there were some indications of failure already apparent before the filesystem corruption.

But lesson learned: backup, backup, backup. And test that it actually works. I'm currently in the process of thinking how to improve my system from the current one. I'm using one external Time Machine backup disk plus another (smaller) disk where I copy all media files a couple of times each year, and then I have some backups on the net. In addition, a bootable backup disk would be nice to have.

No comments: