Friday, November 20, 2009

How did you learn photography?


Rock, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Parking lot, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Path, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

At work during lunch a colleague asked a surprising question. "How did you learn photography? Just by yourself or did you study it?"

As often in these situations, I couldn't give a good answer, just saying that anyone can sometimes take a good photograph or two, but then there are some people who take them consistently. I just shoot. Sometimes I'm lucky.

Later I thought about this a bit more. I can't say that I have learned photography, but I'm trying to learn. And the good thing about this is that I have started to understand photographs better, and also learned to enjoy visual beauty better than previously, even without a camera.

My favorite photographer is Sam Abell, to whose photography I return again and again. And then there are many excellent photographers on the net who each are producing an impressive body of work. I'm lucky to be able to learn from their example.

But I need to stop now, it has been a heavy week. Lots of hard thinking had to be done at work, one of the most demanding weeks in a long time. Now, weekend ahead.

Here are three photographs taken during the last few days. It has been clouded, foggy and rainy, not much sunshine these days I'm afraid.

So far I have been lucky, the flu hasn't hit me yet. I even commuted by bicycle to work yesterday even though I felt a little bit weak. It was rather nice, and no bad aftereffects.

2 comments:

Andreas said...

I learn all the time, but Craig Tanner's Daily Critique has pushed my ability to analyze images, not only other people's, even more my own, a lot. And then there are of course people who influence me, kindle my interest in certain things. All in all, well, I'm still learning, I always will. I guess it would be boring if there were no new things to learn :)

Juha Haataja said...

Yes - critique! Unfortunately, good critique is rare. It is a kind of art in itself, not only touching the original piece of art but telling much more: about photography, about art, about life.