Saturday, October 31, 2009

Types of photographers (and about visions)


Radial, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Curve, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Stump, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

TOP had recently an interesting (alhtough rambling) posting about photography:

I presented a diagram that looked something like this: [...] Where green was professional or commercial photography, orange was editorial photography or photojournalism, and blue was art photography and academic photography. A hand immediately shot up from the back of the room: "And what kind of photographer are you?" Without thinking, I replied, "I'm a writer."
I'm not a photographer in this sense either, just a person with a hobby, doing other things to earn a living. And I don't want to spoil my relation to photography with too much seriousness.

Speaking of seriousness, recently I read "The Prophet Muhammad: A Biography" by Barnaby Rogerson. It was a revealing book about the effect of visions. Compared to this, we all are amateurs. You don't need to own a camera (or even to be able to read and write) to make changes in the world.

Speaking of visions, Mark Hobson apparently doesn't like TOP much, "since it went to really focusing on gear." There is something here, but true to his style Hobson really underlines his point.

On the other hand, I can't help liking his photographs, although sometimes I have a nagging feeling of them being produced in an "industrial" process. Is there really something under the surface?

5 comments:

Markus Spring said...

As much as I enjoy some of Hobson's photography, his language and even more his attitude is annoying more often than not - tossing f***-words and insulting people should be the domain of uneducated youngster that try to provoke just for the provocation. His style can be witty, but I would not like to enter a discussion with him for fear that he would try to use his intellect and sharp tongue together with his deplorable shortcomings in terms of social graces to make his position the only acceptable one.
In this way I think he is really damaging the terms Art and Artist.

Juha Haataja said...

What I find problematic is a sort of dogmatic attitude which doesn't allow (or make visible) failures. Thus it is not contributing to discussion.

If you don't permit yourself to be in the wrong (or admit it), it is a sort of death, at least not helping others to learn.

Andreas said...

Oh dear, relax :)

Yes, Mark can be an @$$, but he is one of the most brilliant photographers that I've ever encountered. As I once said and as you once agreed, a rare instance of a photographer who does not produce a single bad image.

Most do. I certainly do. Mark? Never. And his verbal style? Well, it does not spoil it for me. I have just waded through many of his Tuscany posts and it is pure pleasure. He is maybe the only photographer who constantly amazes me with totally mundane settings. It does not happen all the time, but maybe every 10 or 20 posts he produces not only his usual high quality, but something totally breathtaking.

And when he posts something stupid? Well, then I comment and call it supid :)

Juha Haataja said...

@Andreas: I have since cooled somewhat and continue to be amazed by Mark's photography and inventiveness with ordinary scenes.

I guess I'm rather Finnish in my attitude towards discussion, it just isn't in the style to go and and say something stupid. Perhaps I could practise this there though?

Andreas said...

Well, fact is, Mark seemingly doesn't mind. Paul Maxim has attacked him heavily more than once, and they still get along fine :)