Saturday, August 8, 2009

I'm not giving up color (yet)


Flower visit, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Water jug, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Drop gathering, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Despite shooting in black and white more and more, there are situations when color is needed. Or perhaps you can say that it is the light which requires color for the message to come through.

But then there are cases when color breaks down the picture, such as in the last image of the three shown here. In black and white the image works, but in color the message was diluted all the way to the vanishing point.

I feel that shooting in b&w simplifies things, makes it easier to understand what I'm aiming at. Perhaps this is due to the matter of too many choices. Make it simple, and things click into place.

2 comments:

Markus Spring said...

The last, b&w one is really convincing for me, as is last post's study with the pipe. I could imagine that the preview mode really can help in the transition to seeing b&w, something that I have still not learned in the SLR viewfinder despite some approaches.

Juha Haataja said...

I do hope the preview mode helps, at least it makes it easy to start in b&w. But as for the skill of seeing in b&w, I don't think there really is a shortcut.