Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Forest, black and white, motion blur


Blur 2, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Blur 1, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Last autumn and winter, when it was dark, I made a lot of experiments with motion blur photography. This summer I have done little of such photographs, but two days ago I noticed a new possibility: combining b&w photography with motion blur.

Here are two such images of a forest. It seems (counter-intuitively) that the motion blur makes the feeling of the forest stronger, by giving a kind of fluidity to the landscape.

Do you think this is something to explore? It is interesting that there doesn't seem much done in this type of photography, combining black and white photographs with motion blur.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Certainly it's something to explore. You came up with it! Take it however far you want to. I'd experiment with contrasts, especially ... but I like that kind of thing. You've made some interesting photos so far.

I did one, in color, that was a drive-by and I really liked it: http://www.paullesterphoto.com/wordpress/?p=1230

I think that I'll go back and do a bit of black & white magic to it, too now that you've given me the idea.

Juha Haataja said...

A great image! Have to see how it goes, there is a lot to be learned in b&w photography.