Sunday, May 3, 2009

Dark and light


Zip, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Dark and light, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Ant, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Wood anemone, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Sometimes it is as if the world would split in half, dark and light. When I started to take photographs and blog about it last summer, I promised to not to take it too seriously.

I used photography as a conterbalance for various kinds of pressure. For me, taking photographs was a way of relaxing, of creativity. But when the pressure increased even further, photography itself became too serious, not a free thing any more.

During the last weeks things piled on things, until I realized I need to make changes. I'm not going to go details about the problems I had, but they caused several sleepless nights in a row, to such a degree that I was feeling half dead, not able to think properly, being even more clumsy than usually.

One of the changes I have decided on is my approach to photography. I will no longer take photographs daily, or blog daily. I will slow down. This applies to many other things as well. Take it slowly, not stress about it. Relax.

3 comments:

Steve Skinner said...

I will look forward to seeing your images whenever you have the time!

Markus Spring said...

Juha, when not depending on photography as a professional, it is just the normal thing to give it a lower priority when other things are pressing. Don't put yourself under avoidable stress!
That said, I do like your last pictures very much, especially #1 with its strong diagonal and the wonderful deep blue. So maybe keep shooting just for yourself when there is a real opportunity for it and you feel at ease.

Juha Haataja said...

@Steve and Markus: Thanks!

It is surprising how photography used to be such fun, and now it has became just another source of stress. But taking it slowly probably will help.