Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Long-exposure photography in bright light


Wet play, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Tree blur, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Shore, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Today I got an ND8 filter for the LX3. I attached it to the extension tube and tried it out. I was an excellent day for this, lots of sunshine. It seems that the filter works as intented, making it possible to get long enough exposures for blurriness.

The smallest aperture of the LX3 is f/8, so with ND8 I can get the equivalent of f/22, without the problems of having such a small aperture in practice. LX3 is a small-sensor camera, although I sometimes forget it.

Here are three images from today. The first two are exercises in blurriness, the last one is a more usual landscape image, showing how the spring is advancing in strides.

Today was a good day for photography. I'll continue to try out the ND8 filter. To get long exposures with bigger apertures I may need another (or a ND64 filter), but that remains to be seen.

No comments: