Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Commuting by bicycle and watching for signs of spring


Angled, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Stream, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

I have started to commute by bicycle, after pausing for a while. Today I also went for a walk with the family during the evening, and got quite a lot of exercise. So much that I'm feeling reallly tired.

I didn't take a lot of photographs today, despite the bright blue sky and a lot of sunshine. I was hoping to see more signs of the coming spring, but not yet, not yet. Days are getting longer, but the sun is still low on the horizon.

Here are two images from today. In them I was mostly interested in the straightforward shapes. Not too much complexity for the tired brain.

Update: I forgot to note that I invented yet another potential SoFoBoMo project: environmental portraits of my bicycle. The idea would be to go to perhaps ten different places per day, and to take landscape/environmental portrait photographs where the bicyle would play different roles. In a few days there would be enough images for the SoFoBoMo book.

However, I'm still sticking with my "35 Trees" project. I have some other project ideas in reserve as well. "May in blur" - using my ND4 and ND8 filters to take landscape photographs in bright light using motion blur effects, especially moving the camera during the exposure. "Accidental still life" - accidental combinations of man-made and natural elements, seen through the human viewpoint. And then there is an idea of documenting the effects of time at different scales at a local lake.

2 comments:

Ove said...

Someone proposed that to me that very idea with the cycle a few weeks ago. Cool. :) I made such a series of photos during the nineties, with my really crappy cycle in front of famous places here in Lund. Well, the pictures didn't turn out well and had ever since lived their lives in a not-to-be-opened-box.

Juha Haataja said...

There would certainly be a great challenge in making the bicycle portraits come out well. Andreas Manessinger does these excellently, but in his images the bicycle is usually in the main role, not a "spectator" as in my idea. But I don't think I'll try this out as my first choice SoFoBoMo project.